Friday, February 24, 2012

A forgotten draft

(Apparently, this has been sitting as a draft since January 5th.  Oops.)

All righty, then.  It's time to examine last year's resolutions.

Drink more milk.  I usually only drink milk when my parents are here (or I'm visiting them), and we drink milk at every dinner.  Specifically, I will drink milk with a meal once a week.
     Yeah.  Not so much.  I tried for a couple of weeks, then totally forgot.

Cook dinner.  And I mean really cook, not just reheat leftovers or zap a TV dinner.  Specifically, I will cook myself at least one meal a week.  
     Yes, I managed one meal a week.  And often that was the only cooked meal.  But I'm working on it - after this holiday season, I can't afford to eat out for a while!

Use 'so' less.  I use the word 'so' an awful lot on this blog.  So much, in fact, that it's started sticking out to me.  I will use it less.  But I have no specifics on how much less. ;)
     I think I managed to use it less... I hope.  

Be on time for work.  I am really bad about clocking in at 8:02.  All I have to do is wake up 2 minutes earlier (in theory).  Specifically, I will clock in to work at 8:00 or earlier at least 4 days a week (which is an improvement over my current one-day-a-week trend).
     Not a chance.  I did my best, but I can't do mornings.  Luckily, since I end up working 15-20 minutes late most days, the boss-ladies are forgiving.

Drink more water.  Over the last few weeks, I've been drinking a lot of pop.  A LOT.  Like, 3 or 4 cups of Dr. Pepper at work, then a Cherry Coke with dinner, and a Dr. Pepper later in the evening.  That can't be good for me.  But I got a fancy new plastic cup with my initials on it, and I find that I drink more water when I'm drinking out of that.  Specifically, I will have more water than pop while I'm at work (even if that means guzzling two glasses of water in the last ten minutes of my day!).
     I did it for a while.  And I'm still working at it.  Problem is, I tend to drink more caffeine when I'm stressed, and when I'm programming, and I've been stressed and programming lately.  I will keep trying with this one, I think.

Finish Partners.  I HAVE to finish this play.  I've run it through the critique group once, and I've made some major changes, but I need to finish this next draft and submit it to the theatre if I want to have a chance of having it produced next season.  Specifically, I will finish this draft by the end of January and I will have it to my crit partners by mid-February.
     Fail.  EPIC FAIL.  It's just not working for me.  I've put it away now, and it's just got to sit and stew for a while.  But I do have other projects on the go, including an outline for another play, so I'll concentrate on those.  If I've learned one thing from all of the author blogs I've been reading, it's that sometimes, you just have to let it go.  I'm not sure I'm totally ready to let it go yet, but I'm willing to let it take a very long nap.

Overall, last year's resolutions were not such a success.  Maybe this year will be better.

6 comments:

Beylit said...

This is exactly why I don't leave drafts of anything.

Hey I totally passed on some blog award things to you. You should check it out.

James said...

Just thought I'd drop by and say I've enjoyed what I've read of your blog so far. Your anecdotes and stories have a very relational quality to them. It's wonderful and I hope to check out more later.

Peace that surpasses all understanding,
James

Kendi said...

These articles are fantastic, The information you show us is interesting for everybody and is really good written, very informative. It’s just nice! continue posting. Thanks!

Kendi of house and lot in the philippines

colbymarshall said...

I use SO so much. I don't know if I can ever stop.

Sandra said...

Read a lot of blogs specially interesting ones like your blog, Good post! I accidentally found your site on the internet, I am going to be coming back here yet again.Love Information Is Beautiful. Keep posting

Sandra from webdesign Philippines

Althea Shareen said...

It’s a very interesting and informative blog, thanks for the article I really liked your blog and I really appreciate it... It’s just great!! Continue posting...More Powers to your blog..


- Althea Shareen of tourist spots in manila