Thursday, December 16, 2010

Am I qualified?

So...

There's this writing workshop coming up in January, and I've been asked if I would like to be a guest speaker.  Um.  Okay...

I have no problem with public speaking - I used to teach, so I'm used to standing up in front of groups of people and talking about stuff for hours at a time.  I write, so I've got some background there.

But am I qualified to talk to other people about writing?

Obviously, I talk about writing here, on my blog.  But that's an entirely different forum!  Here, you all have read (or had the chance to read) about what I've done, and make a decision on your own about my credentials.  Plus, there's the whole 'never believe anything you see on the internet' rule that you can blame if I'm wrong.  In person, though... I feel like I should have a half-dozen novels published.  Or one.  Or an agent.

At the same time, though, why shouldn't I be able to get up and talk to people about writing?  Oh, yeah, because I don't know if I've got any real 'cred' as a writer.

So.

That's where I am right now.  I'm thinking I'll say no...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm thinking you should say 'yeah'. You've spoken to me about writing and I'm sure I'm not the first one. I understand your anxiety if you want to call it that about the situation. But whether or not you're qualified, I would say absolutely. So DO IT!

~!~Shelbie~!~ said...

I think this is an amazing opportunity for anyone and you can do nothing, but benefit from that... :) I hope you say yes!