Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reliving the good times

I'm on a Joss Whedon kick again - I'm almost done season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I'll follow that up with Firefly, Dollhouse, and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.  And if I happen to get Angel or appropriate gift cards at Christmas, I'll add that one to the lineup, too.

There's just something about these series that touch me.  Even in the early, cheesy episodes of Buffy, when they were still finding their way, the characters were easy to identify with.  I can see so much of me in young Willow, it's a little disconcerting.  But I can see parts of myself in Buffy, too.

And I've never watched a series that can make me cry so much.  Sure, I'm a crier.  My instinctive reaction to any strong emotion is to cry, whether it's sadness, happiness, anger, frustration... And Whedon's stuff can make me react.  It's strong, emotional stuff.

Tonight, I'm watching the episode "I Only Have Eyes for You," and Buffy's emotional turmoil, with the whole Angel-turning-evil-thanks-to-sex thing, reflected in the teacher-student relationship... wow... it just breaks my heart.  And I love it.  I think this is one of my favourite episodes.

Does anyone out there have strong feelings for or against the Whedon-verse?  Or a favourite episode?

No comments: