Monday, March 8, 2010

Seriously?

Someone was directed to my blog, read an entry, and got offended. Or was told about my blog, misinterpreted content that they did not actually read, and got offended.

And I'm kind of frustrated about this.

I have tried very hard to make sure that, while however informative/entertaining/honest/whatever my post is, it's also considerate. I am on the Board of Directors of two separate organizations at this time, and I have also been a University instructor, so I am very well aware of the fact that anything I say or do may be held against me. That's why, when I was teaching, I stopped going out to the bars where students tended to hang out - I didn't want anyone to think I could possibly be construed as even considering doing anything inappropriate.

These days, I continue to pay attention to things like that. When I am sufficiently affected by something I see/hear to write about it, I'm careful about how I do so, especially when I know the people who are involved in whatever the thing is. I don't want to offend anyone, or put the Boards in a bad light, or come off looking like a jerk.

It's clear, though, that people will misinterpret all sorts of things, and there's nothing I can do about it. So what should I do? Should I stop expressing myself to avoid hurting the feelings of people who may or may not actually ever read my blog? That seems ridiculous. No, I'll continue on as I have been. If you're offended by what you see, then go read something else. I KNOW that I'm not the most interesting thing on the internet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot conceive of you ever offending anyone - which just goes to show you that there are some people in this world who are just determined to find something to whine about.