Thursday, November 4, 2010

NaNo - Yes, I'm doing it again

So for the seventh year in a row, I'm doing NaNoWriMo.

I've seen a lot about NaNo online lately, which is not surprising.  People seem to either love it or hate it - there really aren't too many who are lukewarm.  I am (obviously) a fan.  If you read my pre-NaNo post, you can see part of the reason I like it.  I learn something about myself and my writing every time I do NaNo.

I'm well on my way - I passed 11k tonight.  Unfortunately, I'm not really in love with my story.  Actually, that may not be an unfortunate thing.  Because I'm not deeply emotionally attached to the story, I'm much more flexible with it.  I had a brand new character show up, and I didn't have any idea what to do with her.  Now she's sticking around, and she'll provide challenges (physical, mental, and emotional!) to my MC.

Also, I don't hate my MC.  This is actually a bad thing.  He was supposed to be a total douchebag, and he is, but I don't hate him.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... perhaps he's just so inept at what he's trying to do that I'm feeling some sympathy...

In any case, I'm all full of NaNo this week.  Next week, though, I'll try to be less NaNo-filled, since it's ALL OVER THE INTERNET and I'm sure you're bored with reading about it!

2 comments:

Jamie D. said...

Good luck, Danielle! I don't normally get too emotionally attached to my stories...I mean when I'm writing, I'm right there in the story with my characters, but once the session is over I can step back and make changes or whatever. I like it - gives me lots of freedom.

Here's to finding that "sweet spot" with regards to your MC... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have always loved this piece of wisdom about writing: Remember that everyone is the hero of their own story - even the villain. It makes reprehensible characters less one-dimensional and far more human.
See you Saturday!