Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Peek into NaNo

(Yeah, I know, I'm totally taking the cheap way out, but today's fiction is an excerpt from my current NaNo project.  Enjoy!)


“So where am I?”

“You haven't figured that out?” the man said, then laughed.  “You said it yourself - three times.  You're in Hell.”

Jeffrey made the fish-face again.  “Hell?” he repeated.  Well, he supposed that made sense.  Why else would he be surrounded in pink and listening to this sort of ‘music’?

“Hell,” the man confirmed.  “And I’m the one in charge of greeting you.  I’m Phongor.”  He rose and held out his hand.  Jeffrey, out of habit, reached out and shook it.  He immediately yanked his hand back, shaking it.

“Shit! That’s hot!”

Phongor laughed.  “Indeed it is.  Damn, I love that.  You humans fall for it every time.”

Jeffrey opened his mouth to make a smart-ass retort, but closed it, thinking better before he screwed himself even more.

“That fish thing you do, it's rather amusing," Phongor said.
 
Jeffrey just glared at him.  A thought was wiggling around in the back of his head.  The man’s name seemed familar, but he couldn’t figure out where it was from.

“In any case,” Phongor continued, “I’m here to greet you, and honestly, I don’t really like you.  I don’t like you at all.”

“Sorry to make your job suck,” Jeffrey snapped.  He crossed his arms and stood staring at Phongor.

“Yes, well, it’s Hell, so I suppose it's par for the course,” Phongor said, laughing at his own cleverness.  “The point is, though, that I don’t like you.  I don’t want to have to deal with you.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very Nice, you're well ahead of me. Looking forward to the finished version.