Thursday, November 18, 2010

On Short Stories

If you've been following me for a while, you will have seen some samples of my writing.  I try to write a flash-fiction length piece on Tuesdays, but I often struggle with those pieces.  I was going through my Google Reader today, trying to catch up on my reading (I've been AFK for almost a week, and I had over 700 blog entries to read!  Down to about 400 now...) when I came across an entry that started my brain working.

Okay, I ran into a pile of things that got my brain going, but only one is relevant to this entry!  I can't remember who it was, or exactly what he/she was blogging about, but it included something about making sure you read what you write.

I realized that part of the reason I struggle with flash and short stories is simple: I don't read that type of writing.  Aside from a few blogs that post short stories occasionally, I don't read short things.  I read novels.  Especially epic novels.  That's just what catches my attention.

So here's my dilemma - do I keep struggling with flash, and also force myself to read more of it, or do I just give in and keep writing novels, because it's easier?  (Easier in that my brain likes that format, not easier in terms of actually getting the damn things finished and polished up.)

Advice? Suggestions?  Anecdotes?

No comments: