Saturday, June 11, 2011

Anxiety

Some days, I feel a bit anxious. I've got a lot on my plate right now. Between work, writing, finishing Baby Bear's present, dealing with theatre drama, dealing with construction malarky, and packing, I'm spread kind of thin these days.

Everyone has different ways of dealing with stress and anxiety. Some people like long bubble baths. Some like a nice bottle of wine. Some like a good book. When knitting isn't one of the causes of my stress, knitting helps. Lately, though, I've found a different source of relaxation - a serial killer. There's something about Dexter that is just... comforting. I know, that's a weird reaction to have. Some days, I wonder if there's something wrong with me...

And then, when I think about it a bit more, I realize it's not that weird. This show is written REALLY well! I'm on my third viewing of the first four seasons, and I'm still impressed with it. There's still stuff that shows up that I hadn't noticed before. It's all so well-thought-out.

I've read the first book by Jeff Lindsey, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, and I liked it. A lot. But there's something about the tv series that feels better. Of course, it's a much longer format, which allows for more development of, well, everything. Still, each of the characters has a fully developed arc across each season, and all seasons.

So. Great writing is how I justify finding a serial killer relaxing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't think there's something wrong with u... we can kill- all of us.
but...
REALLY?
that is the mos boring show ever
no ofense, but seriously! watch something fun. like family guy. u don't need to think much. funny as hell and offensive to so many things i hate!!
i used to write letters to friends of mine. of course with internet and cell phones its all over... but id really like to find someone to just share some things with.
my add is mirandaarrieta@yahoo.com.ar

Jolene Perry said...

Whatever works for ya ;D

Also, good writing makes me think, and that actually does something for me. I don't have TV... sigh... but since you're like the millionth person who has said I need to watch this show. I might need to watch this show.

Karen said...

Awww don't feel pressure about BB's present... BB doesn't need anything yet, I don't want you to stress about it :(