Saturday, June 18, 2011

I knew I was forgetting something!

I went out to watch a movie tonight, then came home and updated my Facebook status to reflect my feelings for the swoopy camera work, then restarted my computer so that it could do that whole automatic update thing.  Then I realized that I hadn't blogged yet!

It's late (duh), but I don't want to abandon my blogglings!

So I'll talk about the movie!

I went to see Green Lantern.  I have never read any of the original comics that this movie was based on.  In fact, the only comics I have ever read were Betty and Veronica comics, and even that was rare.  I had worried about whether or not I would like it.  A lot of the reviews were, well, not great.

It turns out, though, that I might be the right demographic for all of these comic book movies!  Because I'm not overly familiar with the stories (other than what my comic-book-loving-friends have told me), I don't have a lot of the  preconceived ideas of what the characters should be like.  I don't know how they should look, how they should act, who is a friend or who is an enemy.  Because of this, I can sit back and enjoy the movie for itself.  My comic-book-loving-friends, however, don't have that luxury.

Bearing that in mind, I ended up liking the movie.  The plot worked for me.  The actors were, for the most part, well-chosen.  I wasn't a big fan of Blake Lively, but I didn't hate her.  The effects were pretty cool, if occasionally nauseating in their swoopiness.  There was a section in the middle that started to drag for me, and I started to wonder when it was going to end, but then the story picked up again.

And, of course, if there is a gun on stage, the gun will be used.  (I can't take credit for that quote - it was totally Tanya leaning over to me at the end of the credits to say that!)  And if you don't get what I mean, you either haven't been involved in theatre, or you haven't watched this movie through to the end of the credits.

My final comment is a girly one.  Ryan Reynolds looks way better with his deep brown eyes than with the creepy blue ones!

No comments: