Monday, June 6, 2011

Movies and movie theatres

I was chatting with a friend today, and I admitted a big ol' secret.  While I love movies, I don't really like movie theatres.  Rather, I don't like watching movies in the theatre.

I know, it's weird.  Most people really like the experience - why else would it be such a popular date night?  But I don't like it.

Some of it is purely physical - that's one of the few times that I really have to wear my glasses.  There's something about the size and distance to the screen that just doesn't work for me.  Also, the broad, sweeping camera angles give me mild vertigo and nausea.

Part of it is the price.  I hate that, between the ticket and a drink and a snack, it's about $20 a person to see a movie in theatre.  If I wait a couple months, I can buy the DVD for $24.99.  If I wait a little longer, it's down to $15 or less.  So if I'm patient, I can watch a movie in the comfort of my own home, with my very tasty popcorn from my new popcorn machine, without my glasses, for less than it would cost me to go to the movie theatre.

Hmm... putting it that way, I can't figure out if I'm cheap, or just uncomfortable at the theatre.

Is there anyone else who doesn't like the movie theatre, or am I alone in this?

3 comments:

Karen said...

I like the popcorn from the theatres, but I do like being able to snuggle up on the couch in my pj's with a blanket and homemade popcorn and juice too. I only like going to the theatre for big movies and the 3d ones.

iriske said...

Thank u for sharing.
very nice of u.

my site is: http://cheapweddinggownsonline.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

i have the glasses problem too.. strange... the screen is huge, yt i can't see anything!
i dont like the price either... and i hate people in the theatre... kids or people who explain the movie. cell phones..
i still go. but it is free at home... why bother? and the best part: i dont have to wear pants AND I HATE PANTS...