Sunday, July 25, 2010

This week in crafting!

I haven't done nearly as much crafting as I would have liked to do!  But that's okay.  I was social this week, and I spent a lot of time reading.  That's not to say I didn't do ANYTHING, though!

I knit my way through four balls of yarn for Rachel's baby blanket, so I'm 2/3 done.  Now I need to go and pick up two more balls of yarn for the main part of the blanket.  Once she decides on a colour scheme for the nursery, I'll pick up a ball of Heaven yarn to finish off the edge.

I've managed a few more rows on Spencer's blanket, and I'll probably continue on that this afternoon and evening as I watch LOST.  Hey, it's Sunday.  It's a good day to watch TV.

I'll probably make another set of cards this evening, since my sewing machine is still out.  The blogosphere is full of cards with stitching on them, so I'm going to join the trendiness, I think. I was thinking about sewing some scrubs, but I'd rather just finish cleaning off my table so that I can host people for dinner next weekend.

Oh yeah - I decorated a wedding cake.


My friends are getting married in October, and I'm going to make their cakes.  This is a sample of the top layer, so they can see how it tastes, and see how it looks.  After meeting with the caterer yesterday, it's going to change... a lot.  I've got a few more ideas for it, and I'll be Photoshopping different sample details onto it.  I was really happy with how it turned out, even if it's not exactly right - I was terrified of trying fondant for the first time, but it worked out well.  It was much easier than I had expected.  Of course, now I've got leftover fondant hanging out in my fridge... maybe I'll make a little cake and take it to work.

Also, I learned that Red Velvet cake uses A LOT of red food colouring!  Two ounces of the stuff!  Luckily, I've got red silicone spatulas, so I didn't dye any of my utensils while making the cake. :)

And that was what I made this week!

In other news, I was called "smart," "really intelligent," "mighty purty," "adorable," "cute," and "charming" this week - how's that for an ego boost?  And all of those came from different people!  I think my self-esteem is picking up again, and it's only been about a month.  Good for me!

2 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

I don't even do a good job of frosting cookies. That looks amazing!

Danielle said...

Thank you! It was fun to do. Sadly, I did not get to taste the cake. I left it with the bride-to-be, so she and her family could taste it. They seemed happy with it, though! And I did get to eat the scraps, because you have to trim the cake. (Okay, I totally trimmed the cake just to get the scraps!)