Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bats?

I think I saw bats outside. It certainly didn't look like a bird... it was just after dusk, and the thing kept flying in circles. It was moving really quickly, but not very high up. It wasn't chirping or anything, although I suppose birds don't always chirp as they fly around.

It didn't fly like a bird, though. It seemed less graceful, more frenetic. I tried to strain and see if the wings looked like they were covered in feathers, or if they had that more transparent quality, but, well, it was after dusk and the thing wouldn't stay still!

I googled Georgia bats, and it seems that there are a lot of species that can be found here, so it's entirely possible. Little brown bats (Myotis lucifugus) are common, and according to the stats that I found, they're about the right size for the critters I saw.

So I may have seen a real, live bat. Another first! Did I mention that I saw my first real, live lightning bug here? And unintentionally killed one on my bathroom door? (Loved the glowy guts!)

No comments: