Sunday, April 20, 2008

I Can't Believe I Wore That

Once again, I was searching the internet for writing prompts, and I came across tonight's topic: "I can't believe I wore that." Now I'm definitely not a fashionista, but for the most part, I can manage to look pretty pulled together, or at the very least, passable to go out in public. However, I spent a great deal of my childhood years as a victim of the 1980s.

Yes, I was a fan of neon everything. I had two pairs of slouch socks, one neon pink, the other neon yellow. I would wear the pink sock on top of the yellow one on my right foot, and the yellow one on top of the pink one on my left foot. With white Keds-style sneakers (I never actually had real Keds). I thought it made me look really cool.

I had this pair of shorts that I absolutely adored. They were black bike-style shorts, but with a twist - they also had a mini skirt attached at the waistband. I thought they were the coolest thing ever. My favourite outfit in fifth grade was this pair of shorts, a sleeveless neon peach (yes, they made pastels into neon colours, too) tank-style shirt, and a thick, black, elastic belt that fastened with snaps. I found a photo of it a few years ago, and I couldn't believe I had worn it.

Of course, my first day of junior high was no better - I wore navy blue leggings with a long navy blue and seafoam green striped sweatshirt, again with the little white sneakers. I don't know why my mother ever let me out of the house.

I hope that I've matured over the years. As far as I can tell, my worst fashion faux-pas lately have been associated with the clothes that I've worn for construction or painting and not changed out of to grab food or hit WalMart. If you look at the other WalMart customers, though, I'm actually still going to come out way ahead of a huge pile of them, so I don't feel too bad.

There is a chance that I am completely wrong, and that I've been completely embarrassing myself with all of my clothing and footwear selections. If that's the case, can someone please let me know? I probably won't change my ways, but at least I won't be living with delusions!

2 comments:

KarenElizabeth said...

Yo. I joined blogspot. And I remember that outfit quite vividly. I thought you looked hot.

Anonymous said...

Amazing how our tastes change with maturity, isn't it? My favorite mantra is this:

The 80s never happened.
The 80s never happened.
The 80s never...

That, and the Mork suspenders.