Sunday, April 13, 2008

Must... write... more...

So I've decided to open up a new blog. Yes, I already have one kicking around out there on the internet - actually, I've got two others out there - but I wanted another. Each of them has a specific purpose. The first is one that I use to keep an eye on some of my friends in other countries; I check my friends page far more often than I actually post. The second is one that has most of the entries locked, and I use it to vent. I know, I could probably do the same thing by just writing and saving to a file somewhere on the computer, but even if I'm not making it publicly accessible, there's something about putting it out on the internet that makes it feel much more like venting and less like stewing in my own anger.

This blog, though, this one is for writing.

I'm a writer. I'm not a professional writer, at least not yet. I love it. If I could make a living, I totally would, but I think I'm just a bit too ADD to handle that right now. I've got a million other things going on, and I want to pay attention to all of them, so it's not really practical to dedicate my life to writing. Of course, I forget all about practicality each year when November rolls around. I participate in the National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo), and I have for the past four years. The goal is to write at least 50,000 words of a novel in the month of November. So far, I have made that goal every year. Unfortunately, only one novel actually got finished. The second one got scrapped, but the basic plot was salvaged for a fresh start (complete with an almost entirely new cast) for year three. Last year's NaNovel has been languishing on my hard drive, but I've started to carry around my Palm again, tapping out a few more sentances here and there. I really want to finish it, because I think that this one actually has potential, but I took a break from it for several months, and it's really hard to get back into it. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back into it soon.

Well, there we go! A full blog post. Now, if I can just keep this up for the rest of the week. Notice that I'm not setting any bigger goals than that! Ideally, I will write a blog a day forever, but realistically, that scares me, so I'm starting small. A blog a day for one week. If I can do that, I'll set the next bar a little higher. Wish me luck!

No comments: