Saturday, April 11, 2009

Act One - check!

I did it!  Today, I finished Act One of the first draft of my play (Working title: Partners).  I'm sooooo happy about it!  I spent most of the morning writing.  Okay, alternating between writing and watching TV, but still.  I wrote 23 pages, which is a lot for me to do in one sitting.  But the story just kept flowing and flowing, so I kept going.  I had other things to do - laundry was piled up, dishes needed to be washed, the floors needed vacuuming - and I was trying to get to a point where I could stop.  Every time I finished a scene, though, I already knew what the next scene would be, and I wanted to keep going.  

I love when the words just flow like that.  It's actually fairly unusual for me to get a burst of writing like that in the morning.  It normally shows up around 10 pm, and keeps me up until 2 or 3, so this was a pleasant change.  I've already got a plan for the rest of it, and there's a good chance that, if I have enough free time this week, I'll have the first draft fully finished by next weekend!  I'm really excited about it.  I've already given the first draft to a friend to read, and I can't wait to start on revisions, then hand it off to the John Jones to see if it might be included in a future season at MLT.   The thought of seeing my play on stage... well, it's as exciting as holding my novel in my hands, if not more so!

So cross your fingers that I'll have lots of time and inspiration this week!