Wednesday, April 29, 2009

An Alexander Day

Today was an Alexander day.  It was a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day.  

Well, the evening was, at least.  And I've got the feeling that tomorrow is going to suck for a while, too.  But there's nothing I can do to change that, so I'm not going to worry about it tonight.

But the idea of a Alexander day reminds me of something else - a James story.

What is a James story, you ask?  I'll tell you.  Back in high school, I was part of a large group of friends.  One of our friends, James, had a rather specific way of telling stories.  He would tell long, winding, rambling stories.  They might include what his mother had for dinner and how many times the doorbell rang last night.  They could include half of the plot of the novel he was reading for English class.  The common factor?  The point of the story was always something like, "I like to watch CSI," or "I had pizza for dinner."

So there's a definition for you: a long, drawn out story that has a very simple point (which could be illustrated with a single sentence) is a James story.

3 comments:

Ray Veen said...

So what's an Alexander day?

Danielle said...

There's a kid's book called "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day." He wakes up with gum in his hair. He has to get the shoes with the white colour. He breaks the photocopier at his dad's office. Basically, everything that can go wrong in a kid's day goes wrong for Alexander. That's an Alexander day. And that's what I've been having. Repeatedly.

colbymarshall said...

I love that book!