Thursday, August 28, 2008

Drama Llama

I was in the OR this morning, as I am almost every Thursday morning, and I heard that term for the first time. See, when you're a scrub tech in the OR, you end up having a lot of time to just wait for the doctor (well, if you work for my doctor, you do!). Unfortunately, while you're waiting, you're sterile. That means you can't touch anything that's not sterile, which includes your own body from the waist down and the sides back - you can't rest your hands on your knees, or cross your arms, or do anything but stand or sit there with your hands partly in the air. Anyways. Back to the drama llama.

While we're waiting, we chat. Today, there were three of us in OR1, waiting for the doctor. Sometimes, chatting turns to gossip. It turns out that one of the OR team has earned the nickname of 'drama llama' because everything around her turns into some huge melodrama - a paper cut bleeds for a week, that sort of thing.

I started thinking about it, and I can identify at least two other drama llamas at the office, and occasionnally, I show the same tendencies (at least I realize it! And sometimes try to control it...).

I also love the name - drama llama. It's cute, and I like llamas. Plus, llamas are less regal than queens, so it implies that your drama is not important enough to make you a drama queen. Or you're too straight to be a queen...

Do you have any drama llama stories to share?

3 comments:

KarenElizabeth said...

My life is like that. I think maybe I'm a drama llama.

MJ said...

Don't tell Colby that llamas are less regal than queens...

Mitzi said...

You could only think of two drama llamas at work?? :)