Friday, June 6, 2008

Habit forming...

They say it takes 21 days to form a habit. I'm not entirely sure who 'they' are, or how they came to this conclusion. However, if you Google "days to form a habit," you'll find an awful lot of websites that tell you that it will take 21 days to form a habit. A few claim it's 30 days, and some say 28.

Whatever. In any case, be it 21, 28, or 30 days, I think that I have blogged consistantly enough for it to be a habit. I blog at the same time every night (more or less), at least relative to the time I go to bed. At first, it was a novelty, and I loved it. After a few days, blogging felt like a chore, but I slogged through. Now, it's about as much of my routine as putting on pyjamas. (Yes, I wear pyjamas to bed. And I spell 'pyjamas' with a Y. I'm Canadian, I spell funny - get over it.) I think I need to start flossing my teeth as regularly as I blog. My dentist would like that.

So now that this comes more naturally (timing-wise, if not idea-wise), I've been thinking about other habits I could form. And before you go suggesting it, no, I don't want to form a drug habit. Besides, from what I've seen and heard, you don't have to waste 21 days to form that one.

I could incorporate daily knitting into my schedule. I do craft a lot, but not during the week. I think I'm just too tired after working all day. Perhaps a napping habit would be beneficial. A nap is always a good idea, isn't it?

The problem with habit-formation is that it actually takes effort to form any worthwhile habit, and, well, I'm kind of lazy.

I think I'll just be proud of my blogging habit for a while longer.

No comments: