Monday, March 9, 2009

Not-so-famous last words

So I was driving today... actually, I was backing out of my parking space, and I pulled out, put the car into drive, and stepped on the gas.  Apparently, the car was not fully out of reverse, and made an awful clanking noise (shh, yes, I know, that's not a good thing).  My response was to say out loud, "Well that's not good."

I was thinking about it a few minutes later as I was driving, and I realized that, if some idiot had driven into my lane and killed me, those would have been my last words.  How sucky is that?  My last words were the sort of thing that someone would say before earning a Darwin award, and no one was around to hear them!  

Wait, maybe no one hearing those as my last words is a good thing.

In any case, it got me to thinking.  I talk to myself a lot.  Well, maybe not a lot.  I like to hear things out loud, though, and I'll often speak my thoughts when I'm alone.  Is that weird?  No, that's a rhetorical question, so please, don't answer.  What it means, though, is that there's a good chance that no one will get to hear my last words, whether I say something stupid like, "Well that's not good," or something incredibly profound and beautiful (of course, since I can't think of an example of something profound and beautiful, the chances of the world missing out on it are slim).

And what if my last words are written, rather than spoken?  Like if I have a massive coronary moments after posting a blog?  I look back on some posts, and there's no way I would have wanted any of those things to be my last words!

So I've concluded that I simply can't die unexpectedly.  I just won't risk having a crappy set of last works.

So there.

No comments: