Saturday, March 7, 2009

Take Five (Part 16)

"Umm..." Laura stalled, trying to remember the story she had concocted in case something like this ever came up.  "Well, not directly... I mean, not like this.  He was the director for one of the movies I was an extra in."

"I see," Blake said, not really buying it.

Laura took another sip of her coffee, concentrating on blowing on it to cool it down.  "How about you?" she asked, feeling more than a little uncomfortable as the actor stared her down.  "I mean, is this the first time you've worked with him?"

"No, actually.  He was the director for the first film I was in.  You might have seen it - it was 'Far From Here,' starring Melissa Knight and Joe Amos," Blake said, sounding pleased with himself.

"I saw it," Laura said.  A slight frown creased her forehead.  "I mean, it was a few years back, but I don't remember seeing you..."

"It wasn't a big role," Blake replied.  "I was the stable boy.  I only had a few lines, and, well, most of them ended up on the cutting room floor."

Laura smiled, then took another sip of her coffee.  Blake smiled back at her, and she couldn't help but feel a bit out of sorts.  She glanced up at the door to the trailer, half-hoping that Sophia would come out and break up this awkward moment. 

Blake, on the other hand, was rather pleased with the way things were going.  He hoped that if he could keep Laura feeling a bit uncomfortable, he might be able to catch a few more hints about her relationship with Ricardo.  From her earlier comments, Blake was quite certain that Laura and Ricardo had done more than work together on one other project, but he couldn't figure out how involved they were.

"Five minutes!" came Ricardo's voice over the loudspeaker, causing Laura to jump, spilling coffee on her shoes.

"Crap," she muttered, irritated that she now had wet shoes, but relieved at the interruption.  "Um, sorry, I've got to grab something to dry off with, and then get Sophia... Um, I'll see you around?"

"Sure," Blake said, watching the assistant run off.  He grinned as he headed into his trailer.  She was going to be easy to break.

No comments: