Saturday, January 31, 2009

Take Five (Part 15)

"So.  How've you been?"

"Um, fine?" Laura replied, blushing as her answer came out sounding like a question.  "How've you been doing?"

"Doin' good," Blake said, grinning at Laura's discomfort.  He was definitely having an effect on women today.  "What are you up to?"

"Working?" Laura answered, her blush deepening.  Why did she always act like a star-struck schoolgirl when he talked to her?  "I'm, uh, just waiting right now, actually, until either Ric- Mr. Jarvis calls places or Sophia needs something."

Blake did not miss Laura's slip-up, but he kept his face straight.  "Is this your first time working on a film set?" he asked, keeping his tone conversational.

"Um, no, actually.  I've done a lot of extra work before."  Laura paused, but Blake stayed silent, looking at her as if he expected more.  "But it's my first time on set as a personal assistant."

"Ahh..." he said slowly.  "How did you go from extra to assistant?"

"Well, um, I spent a lot of time doing community theatre -"

"Right, because community theatre has a lot of personal assistants," Blake said, raising an eyebrow.

"I did a lot of community theatre and," Laura repeated, ignoring Blake's comment, "I realized that I don't really like being an actor, but I like working behind the scenes."

"Oh." Blake didn't have a smart comment about that.  "Is this the first time you've worked with Mr. Jarvis?"

"Umm...." Laura stalled, trying to remember the story she had concocted, in case something like this ever came up.

No comments: