Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I <3 Organizing

If you know me at all, you probably already know this, but I like to organize things. I think it's the science major in me - science is nice and orderly, and I think it's very pretty. I like pretty things.

I have a lot of movies. My DVDs are categorized into Musicals, Family, Comedy, Superhero, and Other, and within these categories, they are alphabetized. I have even more CDs, and they're also categorized and alphabetized. My books are separated into fiction and non-fiction, then organized by category (ChickLit, SciFi, Fantasy, Mystery, General Fiction; Biology, Chemistry, Latin, Classics, etc).

My shoes are all stored on a rack in my downstairs closet, sorted by style. My pens/pencils/markers/etc. are in a divided container, and sorted by type. If the container had more divisions, they'd be sorted by colour, too. My D&D characters are each in their own folder, neatly labeled and stored in my gaming chest by frequency of use. I store my knitting needles in their own case, sorted by size. My crochet hooks, however, live with whatever project they belong with, or in a drawer all together.

I compulsively tidy the tech station at the office. I can't stand all the crap that builds up. It makes it very hard for me to work. Luckily, my supervisor feels the same way, so she's okay with me taking the last ten minutes of the day to make it look pretty.

At my last job, I often had to label charts. We had those little letter stickers that medical offices tend to use. There were about 30/sheet. I liked to use up one row, then the next, and so on, until one sheet was done, then move on to the next one. Colleen, a coworker of mine, liked to grab them totally randomly. This broke me. Finally, one day, I had to just sit there and organize the stickers, until there was only one partial sheet of each letter, and the rest were full. This prompted Debbie to use said stickers to label me: OCDanie.

Have I scared you yet?

3 comments:

colbymarshall said...

No, I get this...I like things to be organized, but sometimes my organization distracts me; if I start organizing I spend more time doing that than work. So I have to keep it in check!

KarenElizabeth said...

I don't think it's the science major in you - I think it's the drill sargent in Dad that made you like this. Because I too am like that. All of my cardstock is arranged according to size and colour. My desk at work has little baskets for different things and all of my cd's are alphabetized by categories as well. Miss you.

Jonathan said...

I am this way only about random things....my sheet music, broadway bootleg dvds, Scores all organized their own way.