Friday, May 30, 2008

Mmmm... Movies

I love movies. I watch at least one movie every day. If I like a movie enough, I'll watch it over and over again until I can almost recite the whole thing. I enjoy B-movies - Black Belt Jones will always have a special place in my memory, as will Eight-Legged Freaks. A lot of the movies that I really love are not classics, although some are - Casablanca and An Affair to Remember are wonderful, and I'll watch them over and over again.

I tend to prefer 'chick flicks.' I really do like romantic comedies. Actually, I like most comedy. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is definitely one of my top five films. However, it is joined by the likes of The Object of My Affection, a very cheesy Jennifer Aniston flick. So my taste in movies is not necessarily a reflection of society as a whole, but I am very forgiving in my viewing habits. I have only turned off one movie that I can recall - One Hour Photo. I just couldn't get into it. I was bored and uninterested, and I finally had to give up.

I also collect movies (you may recall that I alphabetize my DVDs). I have somewhere in the neighbourhood of 75-100 movies, and a list of many more that I want to get. I have a soft spot for films on sale. The $4.99 and $9.99 deals at Best Buy get me every time - I can't remember the last time I walked out of there without a new movie. I also fall for those 2 for $15 or 4 for $30 sort of deals that movie stores have on previously viewed movies, and that's where I tend to pick up movies that I'm not too sure of. If I've got 3 and the deal is a 4-for, I'll be pretty random about that last movie.

That's how I ended up with tonight's feature: The Weatherman. I almost turned it off. It didn't really go anywhere. I didn't see any sort of development in the characters until the end, and the movie didn't show the development, just pointed out that after a while, they had changed. It was as if it were trying to be American Beauty. I enjoyed that movie, but it did not need copycats. I had really expected more from The Weatherman - the trailers made it seem kind of interesting. It wasn't. I've watched art films before, and while they're not my favourite genre, I can appreciate them for what they are. This looked like someone trying to make a mainstream art film, and failing. It's sad that I spent a big chunk of my evening watching something that I didn't enjoy. That being said, I'll probably still keep it, because I like having a big movie collection. I just won't watch it again. I'm sure someone will want to borrow it. Eventually. Maybe.

2 comments:

colbymarshall said...

Yep, I'm a habitual DVD buyer...maybe we need to start having DVD's Anonymous!

Jonathan said...

if you haven't seen them I have 2 completely different movies you need to watch.

80's B Horror: Killer Clowns From Outter Space

Indy: Everything is Illuminated

they are both amazing for completely different reasons. Killer Clowns bc of the complete Camp of it. Illuminated bc of the brilliant story and acting in it.