Thursday, May 1, 2008

I knowed that

My father was a great dad. He still is. He was, and is, however, a stickler for proper grammar. Actually, stickler is too gentle a term. He's a grammar nazi. I love it. He is the one who taught me how to speak properly, and because I know how to speak properly, I am comfortable with intentionally breaking the rules of proper grammar in order to prove a point. Because of him, I also have very little patience for people who cannot speak properly. I currently live in the south. I work with old people. This is not a good combination.

I am perfectly willing to accept that, because of the lifestyle in the south, and the historical professions of many of the patients who come into the office, they have not had the same educational opportunities as the majority of the people who lived in my previous hometown. When a little old lady comes in and leaves off half of the letters in all of her words, I'm willing to chalk it up to Alzheimer's or poor-fitting dentures or growing up on a plantation in the middle of nowhere. However. If you are an RN, you have obviously had some type of formal education, and there is no excuse for butchering the language so thoroughly that I can barely comprehend you. You didn't 'knowed' something. You 'knew' it. Learn some freaking English!!!

*end rant*

1 comment:

KarenElizabeth said...

HAHAHA - that's so true that Dad is a grammar nazi. Hope your evening is better than your day was lol.