Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It's catching up to me

Well, after two weeks of rehearsals, it's caught up to me.  I'm tired.  Very tired.  But that's okay.  Only two more weeks to go... and I get at least four sleep-ins.  Wait.  No.  Only two sleep-ins.  Crap.

In the meantime, ponder this:  I was told today that "once you're labeled latex allergy, you're unhireable."  This came from the nurse anesthetist at work.  I'm thinking it doesn't necessarily apply to all healthcare employees... If I weren't scrubbing for surgery, I don't think I would ever notice if I had a latex allergy or not.  And so many things come latex-free these days, it really shouldn't be an issue.  So you might have to wear different gloves.  Oooo.  Half of the staff at work asks for latex-free gloves anyways, because they're just nicer.  

But that got me to thinking... what other random things might make you "unhireable"?  Maybe if you have crooked teeth, you can't work for an orthodontist.  If you have a limp, you can't work in physical therapy.  If you're allergic to feathers, you can't work for a vet.  Interesting...

On a related note, if you're allergic to feathers, you can't get the flu shot.  Did you know that?  It's because the vaccine is cultured inside chicken eggs, and if you're allergic to feathers, there's a teeny tiny chance that some feather proteins made their way into the vaccine, and you might have a major allergic reaction.  Strange, but true.

3 comments:

lafer said...

Please be careful, I am totally disabled due to latex allergy, therefore "unhireable". It's unimaginable how this life changing allergy can seriously permeate areas of your life if steps for avoidance aren't taken seriously. It's not just a bothersome rash, or hives, at any time a reaction can become life threatening.
Initially when I developed a rash from a latex condom, and then welts from a bandaid I wasn't told how serious latex allergy is, I was just told to not let anyone touch me while wearing latex gloves - big mistake. The latex allergic proteins become airborne from latex balloons and latex gloves and are inhaled further sensitizing an already sensitized person. This escalates into serious complications by becoming cross reactive to foods and plants your body believes is actually latex.
Please take the time to educate yourself on the progression of latex allergy. There is no cure for latex allergy, the only treatment is total avoidance. If steps are taken early you won't have to be one of the many persons disabled by this allergy that are now unable to do any type of work. Latex anaphylaxis can occur from exposures other than latex gloves, from everyday products such as rubberbands, car mats, throw rugs, clothing with elastic, even foods, or pollen.
I am not a healthcare worker and had no routine exposures to latex and still developed type 1 latex allergy. Imagine the risk for a heathcare worker with daily exposures already having latex allergy!

http://www.latexallergyresources.org
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/LAForum/
http://www.latexallergylinks.org/GreerLabs.html
www.epipen.com/anaphylaxis_whatis.aspx
lafer

Robby said...

There is a forthcomming solution for those who suffer from latex allergy. Check out what we are working on here: www.vytex.com.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your cogent thoughts on latex allergies; this is an important and often overlooked issue, and I found your words provocative and insightful.

The organization I work for, the Pacific Northwest Foundation, is devoted to researching alternative modes of healing for a variety of illnesses, including latex allergy. I wanted to share with you a video presentation of a case study we conducted some years ago about a woman with severe latex allergy who, through a variety of methods, was able to diminish her reactivity. The link to the presentation is http://pnf.org/html/anna_s_case.html.

I'd like to thank you so much for your contribution to the subject of latex allergy, and hope you will find the case study above helpful in your continued exploration into the subject.